Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Threadbare

In my juvenile days, I had a mad thing for clothes with pockets.
The more the pockets, the merrier I would be.
I hankered for dungarees, combat shorts, combat trousers and combat skirts even.
I’d pick a needle and thread and sew in a pocket on my regular clothes if I could get away with it!
(On writing the word juvenile, the image of myself as a dungaree wearing baby fish popped into my head)

As I did not start doing my laundry until later, my aunt and siblings would marvel at the items they pulled out of my pockets; nails, rubber bands, threads, matchsticks, chalk, plaster, bottle covers, the list goes on.
Eventually they got tired of asking me why I moved around with such items although now I am much older and you would not find said items in my pockets,

I cant say the same for my purse and or handbag.

Amongst the regular delights and sweets I looked forward to whenever my family returned to the village for the holidays, visiting my mum’s aunt was close to the top.
I do not recall the woman (aside from concluding she smelled like old people and always shying from hugging her) or how to get to her place but I do remember sneaking off to the side of her house to the cotton plants growing in her garden.
I would gather loads of the tender white buds and stuff them in my pockets.

When we got home, I would run off with my loot and divide them into batches.
Some I’d “spin” for poor Rapunzel or keep to use and make my clothes when I grew up, some I’d keep for “grooming” and first aid purposes and the rest for stuffing some of my not so stuffed –stuffed toys.
No one knew of these my escapades but I can bet my mum’s aunt wondered which animal or insect got to her plants only in December.
Spotting a single cotton plant hesitantly growing close to the road about a week ago brought these fond memories back along with the question; what happened to the cotton plants?

I called my mum and asked her what her aunt used the cotton plants for and she said she is not sure but suspected she sold them to a cloth maker.

That made sense.

When I think of cotton now, I think of bandages and oil.

Today's topic: Cotton

Cotton is a soft, fluffy staple fiber that grows in a boll, or protective capsule, around the seeds of cotton plants. The cotton fibers of the species Gossypium herbaceum contain short, staple thick fibers, which are often used in textile and apparel sectors, compresses, gauze, bandages, cotton swabs, tampons, sanitary towels and blah - blah. Cotton also finds use in the manufacture of home furnishings and professional garments.
Cottonseed oil is a cooking oil extracted from the seeds of cotton plant of various species of cotton. Cattle food, mayonnaise, soaps, cosmetics and explosives are a few of the products that contain cottonseed oil. High in vitamin E, cottonseed oil has a long shelf life and a neutral taste, making it useful cooking oil although not every one agrees on the health benefits of its consumption.

In various parts of Nigeria, cotton was produced and used in the maufacture of clothes.
There were cloth weaving traditions mostly in urban areas and cities like Benin, Borno, Bida, Abeokuta, Okene, Iseyin, Illorin, Awete, Sokoto, Kano and so on.



The Aso-Oke (a short form of Aso Ilu Oke also known as Aso-Ofi meaning clothes from the up-country) and Awete (a special woven fabric by Igbo women in Akwete area near Aba in Abia State. Originally referred to as “Akwa Miri” - Cloth of the water- meaning towel) designs had a fascinating tradition which I hope to recount real soon.


There were age grades and societies dedicated to the planting, processing and sales of the plants and other materials needed for cloth making.
It was a pride to be part of such groups because often, the king or rulers bestowed people with titles and honors in recognition of their talents.

Sadly, like the disappearance of the cotton plants all this seems to be fading away.

The question is why?

What does the mister of culture and tourism do really? Seriously, I’d like to know because if the preservation of the tradition and cultures of the people does not rank high on the list, I wonder what does.

The people presently need me right now to go and play class teacher so sadly, I will end this here with a curtsey, a kiss and a how do you do!


No comments:

Post a Comment