Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Green, White and other colors


The idea was to switch to patriotic mode 1st thing in the morning and go on and on and on about how I love Nigeria and blah.
After doing that, the next was to celebrate the national day and spread love to those who couldn't find a reason to celebrate. After making efforts to get my cheer on, I sat in front of the computer to write and bam! NEPA struck, the power went out.
Taking with it the battery life of the desktop computer I was using and in the process leaving me deflated.
As I sat staring at the now black computer screen, trickles of the 1st Nigerian national anthem came to me. I struggled to remember the rest. With a little help from my ‘sister’ from a non-biological mother, I was able to get the whole thing.
Written by Lillian Jean Williams, composed by Frances Berda and trending from 1960 to 1978, it was as follows:

Nigeria we hail thee
Our own dear native land
Though tribe and tongue may differ
In brotherhood we stand
Nigerians all and proud to serve
Our sovereign motherland
Our flag shall be a symbol
That truth and justice reign
In peace or battle honor
And this we count as gain
To pass unto our children
A banner without stain
O God of all creation
Grant this our one request
Help us to build a nation
Where no man is oppressed
And so with peace and plenty
Nigeria may be blessed.

By a series of incredible events, I was privileged to experience education in two different settings both within the same school and state.
In the first, the lecturers relied on government funding, encouraged us to use our imagination to ‘connect the dots’, told us stories of how things ought to be and made education a ‘cram or fail’ affair.
In the second, the lecturers made use of their personal earnings, supplied us with aids to bring what they were teaching to life and encouraged us to ask and attempt questions no matter how silly we thought we’d end up seeming.

It is not hard to figure out which of the above had a higher examination success rate amongst its students.

With the president of the national students union threatening to place a bounty on not only the heads of my friends but the heads of people I love as well, I’ve been in a somewhat perplexed state.
Is he aware of what ASSU is fighting for?

Arise, O Compatriots,
Nigeria’s call obey
To serve our Fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain,
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom,
Peace and unity.
Oh God of creation,
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign.
Written by Sotu Omoigui, John A. Ikechukwu, Babatunde A. Ogunnaike, P. O. Aderogbu Eme and Etim Akpan and composed by Benedict Odiase. This anthem was adopted in 1978 and remains the same to this day.
Feeling rebellious, I wrapped myself in black clothes, shoes and makeup, took a tour of the city and was in for a surprise.
At the end of today, there’s so much I want to say that I’ve decided to say nothing.
Like it or not, this country is ours. It is our home, source of nurture and the bedrock that makes us who we are – Nigerians.
The date is 1st October 2013.
I know this because I am alive and thankful.
Have a blessed month.

No comments:

Post a Comment