Friday, April 26, 2013

Jabez



"Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain."

- 1 Chronicles 4:10



E get one of my real guys for yard wey para say I too dey blow grammar for this suntin. E dey worry me sootey one day, I siddon reason the matter till e reach the side wey I see say the bros no too yarn opata.
Naim I shadow am, beat my chest come declare based on say I be sure gal, I go put am for mind one day write in ahwah mother tongue.
As e get where I wan waka reach on the torey wey dey ground so, this thing no go end as e take start.
Before then, fear bin no catch me o but since na only me dey house and I just dey laugh dey smile throw-way like ‘sharp monkey’ wey find fresh bundle of N1,000 notes for koro use take wrap cra-fish I wan hail the wonderful weather for being the cause of the belle wey dey sweet me.

I could easily have made this a strongly worded attack on air transport companies in the country and their disregard for the safety of their so-called “valued customers” but I decided not to.
12am today made it a week since one of such ‘crafts’ took it upon themselves to have me marooned until midnight at the airport for close to 8hrs with nothing but cold iron seats to warm my fragile little bum.

When the long awaited flight finally manifested and the passengers seated and strapped within, they gave a lousy inaudible apology for the ‘slight delay’, no explanation as to why I wasn’t given my money’s worth and proceeded to distribute finger sized confectioneries, frizzy drinks and a pack containing a toothpick, a spoon and a sugar square.

Till today, I haven’t figured out what I am to do with said items from the pack.

Last week, I was in a bank.
I happened to have had reasons to be in several banks last week.
One thing they had in common was that the persons managing the customer care/service units were impatient, unfriendly and cranky. Unfortunately, bad customer care is not just a shortfall of banks, it occurs in several companies, facilities and centers in general.

It makes me wonder...


Customer |ˈkəstəmər|

noun

- A party that receives or consumes products (goods or services) and has the ability to choose between different products and suppliers.

- A person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or business.


Service fails when someone has left undone what should have been done or when some one has done what should not be done.


It’s in the name:


SERVICOM is an acronym derived from the words SERVICE COMPACT.
It is a social contract between the Federal Government and its people.
Established 21st March 2004, SERVICOM is meant to improve service delivery throughout the country (Nigeria).
Basically, SERVICOM is about service and service delivery; identifying where service fails or is failing with a view to improve service delivery.

Why SERVICOM was introduced in Nigeria
SERVICOM was set up in a bid to prevent, discourage and destroy the following:

i. Bribery and corruption
ii. Inefficiency
iii. Dereliction of duty
iv. Government work from being seen as nobody’s work
v. Re-appearance of missing file after “settling” someone
vi. Files not moving without being pushed with inducement
vii. Decisions not made without undue outside (external) influence
viii. People being short-changed in their expectations of the standard of service provided
ix. Damaging effects on amount of trust people had in public service and service delivery… blah, blah, blah.

BROAD OBJECTIVES OF SERVICOM
• To provide quality service to the people
• To set out the entitlement of the citizens
• To ensure good leadership
• To educate the citizens (customers) on their rights
• To empower public officers to be alert to their responsibilities in providing improved, efficient, timely and transparent service.

The available literature on SERVICOM is surprisingly in abundance (for a something with no evidence of being in function).

Yes! I see SERVICOM stickers, posters and suggestion boxes scattered randomly in the country but that is where it stops.

“The customer is king” might apply elsewhere in the world, but here, “if you do anyhow, you go see anyhow”.

Gradually and with time, we have lost sight of what is ours to keep and what we ought to reject.
We toil 24hours a day in a bid to make just enough money to spend on food, health and shelter.

At the end of the day, we are cheated.

Cheated of our right to justice, fairness and reward for labor.

We hope for a day when things will change, we hope for a better tomorrow, we hope for the best.

Hope is overrated.

An honorable man once said a prayer to God that he might prosper and be blessed.
God granted his request.

The man knew what he had, what he wanted and what he deserved.

Do you?






2 comments:

  1. Very different from your usual stuff sister! Please educate them oh, their customer service is horrible in Nigeria.bobo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As in eh, I don't know how to explain the monstrosity! The 1st thing to do sha is to help people realize that they should say "No" to crappy services and demand for their money's worth. Enough is enough!

    ReplyDelete